From 17-25 March 2012, Women's Skiff and Mixed Multihull evaluations for the 2016 Olympic Sailing Competition will take place at the Prince Felipe High Performance Sailing Centre, Santander, Spain.
Santander are to host the 2016 Olympic Equipment Evaluation
The 2016 Equipment Trials Day 1:
After a morning briefing, sailors hit the water at 14:00 local time in light air. However, the conditions soon took a turn for the worse as the wind lifted to 23knots.
With many of the sailors sailing some of the six skiffs and seven multihulls for the first time, a decision was made to return to shore for the safety of the sailors and crew support.
Evaluation sailor Arnaud Jarlegan (FRA) said, 'It was very shifty. We started the afternoon with no wind, about five knots, and in about five minutes we have between 18-20 knots with a lot of movement and intensity. But we took a lot of pleasure in testing and it was very exciting.'
Sailing was cancelled at 15:00 local time in Santander on the second day of the 2016 Equipment Evaluations.
Dick Batt, Evaluation Chairman, said, 'Unfortunately we made the difficult decision to cancel sailing for the day at 15:00. It has been a frustrating day for sailors eager to get out on the water. But on the plus side, it has enabled us to look closely at the boats and allowed a lot of time for the sailors to speak to manufacturers and learn some of the finer details about the equipment.'
On water evaluation will include the following:
- General manoeuvres
- Racing a course
- Free sailing around a defined course
- Capsize recovery.
Supporting the sailors and overseeing the trials will be an ISAF delegation and Evaluation Panel, which is made up of the following people, who all have a wealth of sailing and technical experience:
Evaluation Management Panel
- Dick Batt (GBR) - Evaluation Chairman (Chairman of ISAF Equipment Committee)
- Nadine Stegenwalner (GER) - Evaluation Management Events (ISAF Events Committee member, ISAF Match Racing Committee member, ISAF Women's Forum)
- Georg Tallberg (FIN) - Evaluation Management Technical (Chairman of ISAF Class Rules Sub-committee, ISAF Equipment Committee member)
- Jason Smithwick (ISAF) - Head of ISAF Technical and Offshore Department
Women's Skiff and Mixed Multihull Evaluation Panel
- Adrienne Cahalan (AUS) - Women's Skiff (ISAF Oceanic and Offshore Committee, ISAF International Regulations Commission, ISAF Women's Forum)
- Enrique Figueroa (PUR) - Mixed Multihull
- Sylvia Vogl (AUT) - Women's Skiff and Mixed Multihull (ISAF Development and Youth Committee , ISAF Women's Forum)
- Alejandro Abascal (ESP) (ISAF Events Committee) (Local Organisation)
- Simon Forbes (ISAF) - ISAF Technical and Offshore Manager
- Henry Thorpe (ISAF) - ISAF Technical Coordinator
2016 Equipment Evaluations on the ISAF website here.
Click here to view images of all the entrant boats.